Light-as-a-Feather Banana Muffins (yes, they're fat-free)
Sunday, May 03, 2009 | Author: A Vegetarian that Cooks Meat
Wow... I haven't updated this site for the longest!!! I haven't neglected my cooking, just
simply too tired/busy to post.

I am a HUGE fan of banana muffins, but sometimes I find the store-bought ones too
sweet or too dense. Not to mention the size of those things! And face it, you know
they're loaded with unhealthy stuff... even the low-fat ones. All I want is something
to satisfy my craving, without killing my appetite for the next meal.

How do I do this without the use of sugar, butter, and oil? Hmm... ever heard of
a product called Xylitol?

It's a sweetener (honestly, it leaves absolutely NO
after taste!!) with the same color, taste, and consistency of sugar! Get this, it had
40% less calories than regular sugar and lower carbs! How awesome is that, honestly?
Xylitol is great for diabetics and helps prevent tooth decay. I've tried using Splenda
and Stevia, but it's just not ideal in baking goodies... at least through my experience.

As for all the fat, all I have to do is substitute it completely with applesauce!
Ingredients:
- ½ cup of whole wheat flour
- ½ cup of all purpose flour
- 1 TBS baking powder (yes, a whole Tablespoon)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup Xylitol or sugar (½ cup if you want it sweeter want but ¼ was just the right amount of sweetness for me.
- ¼ cup applesauce, unsweetened (if you don’t have any, use fat-free vanilla yogurt)
- ¼ cup (equals one egg) of Eggbeaters
- ½ tsp vanilla

Directions (Makes 12 muffins)
- Mix all the dry ingredients (except the Xylitol or sugar) in a a bowl and set aside.
- Beat together the egg, Xylitol/sugar, vanilla, and applesauce in a separate bowl. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 350ยบ F.
- Grease your muffin pans. You can use muffin liners, but since this recipe does not have any fat in it, it tends to stick to the liners. I was not happy the last time I used muffin liners. Bake for 15 minutes.





I absolutely loved the way the banana muffins came out! It was soOooo incredibly light and airy, and the sugar was not overkill. Throw in some chopped nuts for an added crunch!
This entry was posted on Sunday, May 03, 2009 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: